Tuesday, April 3, 2007

On Getting Older

I know I just had a fabulous birthday, but this post isn't about me. It's about my grandma. My mom's mom, specifically. I was talking to my mom the other day and she told me to call my grandmother because she is really lonely in her new digs. My grandparents recently moved into a retirement community, which I call a dorm for the elderly, and my grandma really likes it, but my grandpa really hates it, so he is making her miserable because he is unhappy. My mom says he's mentally ill, which I believe, because the last time I saw him, he told me to go to hell. AG says that lashing out and change in behavior is a sign of dementia. AG worked for many convalescent hospitals before her job makeover via Noah's Bagels, so she knows what she's talking about. So I called her yesterday and we had a nice chat. I feel really bad for her because my grandpa's a total jerk. I told her I'll be sending her a present for Mother's Day and she got really excited. I know that she's a lot like me. The anticipation of the present makes getting the gift just that much more exciting. My grandma loves presents.
They live in Sedalia, MO. They used to live in Smithton, MO, and Grandma says that Grandpa wants them to move back there in October. He says that all he has to do is fix up the house. The trouble is, he owns 4 houses in the area. None are inhabitable. He has been saying that's he's going to get them in order for a long time. It's never going to happen, but he's as stubborn as a mule and won't listen to anyone. I hope she's okay. She said that I sounded really happy when we spoke. I am really happy. I'm going to try and be a better grandchild and call her at least 3 times a month. And send cards for the holidays. She needs us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you my little mer...you are the good one. Your gma really likes to hear from her grandkids. I talk to her every Saturday. Love mom

jenmac said...

Baby you are the sweetest person ever.. you teach me every day about being a better person. Ilove you.

HelloBettyLou said...

I have been saying it for years, the man needs professional help. God's not going to save him this time.

Merlicious said...

Ironically, I feel like I'm becoming a better person because of you. I love you too honey.