Thursday, May 31, 2007

More things...

There is a lot of paperwork to be done for this whole domestic partnership ceremony thing. And it all has to be notarized. And paid for. Luckily, there is a notary 2 blocks from my work. AF and I are going there on Tuesday during my lunch hour to sign our City and State domestic partnership forms and have the nice lady sign off on them so we can mail them in and get officially registered as Domestic Partners. This means she gets to be on my benefits now and is also contractually obligated to love me forever. Okay, the second part isn't true, but it's just fun to say. Planning all this stuff is actually a lot of fun. It's a really amazing feeling to do all this prep and planning for our future.
Basically how this whole thing got started is sort of old-fashioned. Both of us really, REALLY want to have a baby (or 4: See previous posts). But I'm no fool and I told AF that I want to have a baby with her but I am not going to do that until we get married. We've been through a lot of rough things as a couple and it has strengthened our relationship, convincing me that we can stand the test of time, but there is something about having a ceremony and signing forms and getting certificates that really makes it all special. After this is all over, it's baby time. I was talking to my big sister on the phone yesterday and she was saying that it feels weird to have one sister getting married and one having a baby (Lil Sis is preggers). I told her we all do things in our own time and she'll get there if it's meant to happen.
I also asked her for the one thing I am going to need help with in all of the wedding planning. On the day of the event, I am going to need someone to answer the door, tell people where to drop their things off and where to go for the party. The way our house is structured, people have to enter on the top floor, go down 8 steps to the garage level, then 12 more steps to the outside area. She started complaining that she didn't want to be my "servant" while she was here visiting and I was being unfair! This is the only thing I have asked of anyone since the planning began (except for my Mom to help me make the invitations), so I don't think it's asking too much for her to help direct for one hour. Besides, I told her, our Mom is going to make her help me anyway, so she may as well stop whining now. Her response? "Good point. I'll help you." Success!! Woo hoo and yay!

7 comments:

MOM said...

We will make beautiful signs with pointing arrows. You should use your sister for something way more important. MOM

HelloBettyLou said...

See, listen to our mother!!

HelloBettyLou said...

Yeah, not gonna do it, I will gladly make and post teh signs however

Merlicious said...

There is nothing else to do. I have already planned everything so no one has to help me do anything. I thought you'd appreciate my non-invasive non-Bridezilla easy tasks like showing people where to put stuff. I'm trying to make this easy. I'm very independent. It's my thing.

HelloBettyLou said...

Still not gonna do, guilt will not work here.

Anonymous said...

Nice registry at target. I have the list in my purse. Lots to choose from. Glad all your plans are coming together. You should give your sister the job of standing next to you at the party/celebration. She's good at standing and making everyone including her look good too. MOM

HelloBettyLou said...

Thanks Mom.