Wednesday, May 2, 2007

On Little Mers...

And by Little Mers, I mean children. AG and I want 4. Obviously, for us, it's going to take a little magic juice from the Sperm Doctor. She can't just get me pregnant. Not like you heteros. It's so easy for you. A few too many Mai Tais and some Barry White tunes and BAM! It's baby time. Luckily, thanks to the magic and glory that is the Internet, and the liberal gay-friendliness that is the Bay Area, there are many, many options for lesbians who want children (like us).
Despite all of these things and modern technology, I am still an old-fashioned gal. I told AG (soon to be AP= Amazing Partner) that I will not even consider taking steps to have our babies until we get legally partnered. I'm talking Domestic Partnership papers and ring-exchange here. Neither of us are the circus wedding, big fluffy white gown, 500 guests and way too much money type people. It's just not us. We'd rather spend our money on fixing the car and saving up for sperm and fertility treatments. I know what you're thinking: Sperm is free. No it isn't. It's about $150-250 for the good stuff, but that's not all. There are many extras. You have to pay for the complete profile for the donor, you have to have a consultation with the doctor, you have to buy the insemination kit, book time to do it (either in-office, or at home), each procedure also costs money as does each vial of the good stuff. Ironic isn't it? The one time you NEED a man. Well, not all of him. Just a few of his strongest swimmers. You also have to pay for the sperm to be washed and for the samples to be prepared. A lot more goes into this than one would think.
Luckily, we are already preparing for this, financially and emotionally. It's just my way, I guess. I always try to get as much information and do as much preliminary prep work as possible before I take on anything major. That brings me to another point. For a long time, I was known as "the impetuous one." I am not really this way. I marinate on the major stuff for a long time, and as soon as the right time hits, I waste no time in making my plans come to fruition. I strike while the iron is hot, so although it APPEARS that I have put no thought into anything, the truth is, everything is already planned. I just don't take the time to share every little step and detail of my plan to everyone. Only the people it directly involves. I'm just making the planned things go as quickly as possible. I am really excited about this year. It's going to be interesting and fun.

2 comments:

HelloBettyLou said...

Four kids is a lot sugarbee. You thought being one of 3 was a lot. Also, I am telling you, just get a friend drunk and hijack his stuff. Not hard.

Michael Songero said...

Complete tangent, but a cool blogging idea. Check out my last blog and see if you can do the same thing?