Thursday, September 27, 2007

MIL

The title of the post "MIL" stands for mother-in-law. I have one now, as everyone knows, and I must say, having 2 families is harder than just one. My MIL, Patricia, just had a triple bypass and a valve replacement in the city so several members of APs family have been staying with us and going to hospital, driving back and forth, taking care of things, so the past week or so has been a super-busy whirlwind. She's okay, but now she starts the long rehabilitation process. Both AP and I have been going a little crazy over the past week, so it's about time for some much needed R & R. Last night, we were finally able to have some "alone time," and actually spend time together without sisters, brothers, nieces, nephews, or roommates. It was nice. And I was actually able to go to bed at a decent hour for the first time in a week. (I'm old now, I go to bed early.) So AP is going camping this weekend and I am relaxing at home. Part of being together is spending time apart, so that's what we're doing this weekend. I'll probably sleep late, have lunch with a friend, maybe catch a movie. As much as I love and cherish AP, I was single for a long, long, long time before we got together. Sometimes, you have to do stuff with regular friends, or even by yourself. It's time for some "me time."

AP, however, thinks that every time I want to spend time by myself, it means I don't want to be with her anymore, which is totally not true. I am really independent, always have been. I am one of those ladies who can take herself out for coffee, or dinner or a movie all alone and be happy as a clam. I can shop by myself too. It doesn't mean I don't love her, it means I need a break from the inundation of family and hospitals and general disruption of my routine. (Again, I'm old, I don't like my routine interrupted.) We, however, have such a great relationship that we can talk about these things and she understands my need to do things alone. I love her. She's awesome.

3 comments:

HelloBettyLou said...

I like doing stuff on my own too. That SSB stuff that no one needs to see.

HelloBettyLou said...

And you aren't old, you just got married, you go to bed early for the married people sex.

Merlicious said...

This is true. Another reason people get married--The married sex is hotter. And getting hotter.