Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Bloody Wednesday

Since I work at UCSF, there is also a giant medical center right up the street from my building. This happens to be the centennial of the nursing school so they are having different lectures and things like that this year until the actual party day. They are also having a blood drive. Their slogan is "100 Pints in 100 Days." This is going on until the first week of May. So I have done my good deed for the day and donated a pint of blood for the cause plus 4 little vials for whatever they want to do with them. I'm hoping it's something that defies the laws of nature and will somehow assist my sister, Betty Lou, in taking over the world (her evil plan to take over [and therefore save] the world). Hopefully when she reads this, she will get the joke. It's a sister thing, I assure you, you don't want to know. It's eternally nerdy, just like us.
NERD PRIDE. Considering smart people are ostracized and taken advantage of in middle and high school, Betty Lou and I have now taken pride in our nerdiness and are happy to be smart girls. It is no longer a source of shame to be good at everything and smart to boot. I once asked our mom if she would rather be pretty or smart and could only be one, what would she choose? She shocked the crap out of me and said PRETTY! I would choose to be smart for the following reason: Beauty is fleeting, intelligence is forever. Come on now!! Then I asked AG and she said smart (of course!) and this is why I love her. I did not reveal Mom's answer until later. I was still shocked. More later....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now did you think that I would let that comment go by without a few words to defend my self? Are you sure I said pretty instead of smart? Of course I said pretty...but that only gets you in the door. Then you have to be smart to know how to use your beauty to take over the world. Everyone knows that nerds rule the world and even though you might not feel that way in jr and HS...school doesn't last forever and adults (after schooling) see the beauty and intelligence in nerds. Look I even married a nerd but I got a bonus because he is pretty too. So I've changed my answer. You can be both!!! I', sitting on the fence. Love MOM

Merlicious said...

The rule is that you can only pick one. And that was your answer. In a perfect world, we can all have both, but when I asked you, you said pretty. Sorry mom.

Anonymous said...

Who made up the rules?

Merlicious said...

Mom, it's a silly game. Get over it. No one is faulting you for having an opinion. I knew what you meant, you've always said looks get you in the door, the brain keeps you in the room. That is why I developed the personal mantra: Life is 80% charm.

Anonymous said...

What's the other 20% ?

HelloBettyLou said...

Can't you be a little of both, just a little. I would rather be smart, personally. But life would be easier if I were pretty. In this parallel universe where I'm not cute as a button