Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Crazy Patients

I work in the Pros department at UCSF. We are a specialized field of dentistry dealing with crowns, bridges, dentures, and implant crowns. Because we are so highly specialized, the types of patient we get here tend to be on the more "interesting" side. Translation: By the time you NEED a prosthodontist, your mouth is in pretty bad shape. Also, we get a lot of crazy people. This brings me to today's story. A patient called in complaining that his doctor is incompetant and he wants to change to someone else. I asked him if he would tell me the name of his doctor so I could gather background of the situation. He REFUSED to tell me the name of his doctor! He also refused to tell me his name. I explained to him that in order to fix the situation and make everyone involved happy, I would need this important info. He refused. Beth, my lovely and talented supervisor heard me repeatedly ask him for the information and then told me to put him on hold. She told me to tell him that I was done talking to him because this conversation was going nowhere and he was being uncooperative. This is why I love Pros: I am allowed to say things like that to patients and it is totally okay because they are being unreasonable. Where else in the world can anyone do that? NOWHERE!! Heehaaahee!! Evil laughter! All that being said, I love the other 99.998% of people that walk through my doors as patients and they love us in return. Cheers!

No comments: